I haven’t been feeling well most of the week, but watching “To Walk Invisible” on PBS has inspired me to whip up a batch of proper English scones & Argentine yerba mate cocidos.
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1 egg, separated
- Baking powder
- 1 grated orange peel (optional)
The orange peel is optional but it adds a depth of flavor that really makes these simple scones stand out.
- Preheat oven to 375
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Cut in butter. Coarse crumbs will develop.
- Mix milk & egg yolk together. Pour into main mixture. Stir until combined.
- Place dough on table and knead, only until it is smooth.
- With floury hands pat into a circle, place on cookie sheet.
- Cut dough into wedges with a floured knife.
- Lightly beat egg white and sprinkle sugar and orange peel on top.
- Bake 25 minutes. Separate wedges and enjoy with yerba mate.