My parents are here visiting, and my Colombian mother is making my daughter arepas con queso. Yet my daughter is happily eating her hammies and cheese. She’s had arepas once before and they are rightly her favorite lunch. So she just gets a double portion of lunch, the 2nd part which is better than the first!
What you’ll need to make arepas con queso Bogota style:
- Mixing bowls
Here’s how to make arepas con queso:
- Buy masarepa – this is a corn meal mix that is white (goya brand) or yellow (pan arepa).
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Mix 2 cups of water to 2 cups of masarepa.
- Add pinch of salt.
- Add drip of oil (optional).
- Roll dough in balls.
- Flatten balls.
- Place white farmers cheese in middle (or substitute for your favorite cheese) and fold dough around cheese.
- Roll into ball again.
- Place in oil for 2 minutes each side.
- Put on plate to cool.
- Serve warm!
So these are not healthy, and my bodybuilder husband always shakes his head when we eat these, but sometimes comfort food is needed.